A brilliant video showing who has the power in today’s dating and mating power dynamics, and why, from The Austin Institute for the Study of Family and Culture.
Hint: Women have power in the short game but men do in the long game (marriage). And we can thank the pill and online dating for those shifts in the power balance. Depending on your view, that’s either awesome or scary. Your view probably corresponds with your gender and current relationship status….
All the info is backed up by science, and you can find the links to the various studies and papers here:
- Mating Market Dynamics, Sex-Ratio Imbalances, and Their Consequences. By Mark Regnerus. http://www.austin-institute.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Regnerus-in-Society-2012.pdf
- Sexual Economics: Sex as Female Resource for Social Exchange in Heterosexual Interactions. By Fory F. Baumeister and Kathleen D. Vohs. http://www.austin-institute.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/baumeistervohs2004.pdf
- Online Dating: Does Where You Meet Matter? By The Austin Institute for the Study of Family and Culture. http://www.austin-institute.org/2013/08/26/does-where-you-meet-matter/
- Why Young Men Have the Upper Hand in Bed, Even When They’re Failing In Life. By Mark Regnerus. http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2011/02/sex_is_cheap.html
- An Analysis of Out-of-Wedlock Childbearing in the United States. By George A. Akerlof, Janet L. Yellen, Michael L. Katz. http://www.austin-institute.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/An-Analysis-of-Out-of-Wedlock-Childbearing-in-the-United-States.pdf